Recently, I turned 20 years old, which means that I’m officially no longer a teenager and should probably start taking on some adult responsibilities (or at least telling myself that I’m going to). Instead, I’ve decided to write a list of 20 irresponsible (travel related) things to do some time over the next year.
- Take a ‘pilgrimage’ to my homeland of Switzerland. Somehow, despite having a Swiss passport, I’ve only been to the country twice – once when I was six months old and once when I was ten. Twenty seems like the perfect time to make another trip.
- See the northern lights. Supposedly they pop up every once and a while where I live in Scotland, so I might not even have to travel for this one!
- Visit our family’s exchange student in Rotterdam. Hopefully, combined with a trip to Amsterdam.
- Hike and camp more.
- Visit the Scottish Highlands and try to find Nessie.
- Make a return trip to London.
- Go scuba diving. This one might be harder because I was planning on getting my PADI Open Diver certification while in Panama, but the combination of a recent head injury (passing out and hitting my head on a door frame after getting my cartilage pierced) and an even more recent oral surgery (I got my wisdom teeth out about 14 hours ago, at the time of writing this post, so you may not actually be able to hold me to any of this) put scuba diving firmly on the doctor’s list of things I’m NOT allowed to do for the next little while, and I have no idea when my next chance to go scuba diving will be after this.
- Visit at least one UNESCO World Heritage Site (even though my social anthropology lecturer tells me UNESCO is evil). I should be able to tick this one off in about a week and a half when I’m in Panama (Panama City’s Casco Viejo)!
- Explore more of my new hometown, which I have done criminally little of thus far – especially considering it’s a town incredibly popular with tourists!
- Go below the equator.
- Take a scenic train journey.
- Do yoga on the beach.
- Spend less money on travel while traveling more. The joke’s probably on me with this goal, but a girl can dream, can’t she?
- Make friends with an animal in another country.
- Spend a day wandering around a place I’ve never been without a map.
- Be more consistent with updating my travel blog – something that should hopefully be helped along by traveling more often!
- Have a meaningful cultural exchange not organized by an outside party.
- Worry less about visiting all of the top sites and more about discovering the real place.
- Take a girl’s trip!
- Just… travel. Even if I don’t do a single one of the things I just listed, I just need to suck up the bank account injuries and travel! After all, it’s the only thing that you can buy that makes you richer.
Love misfit travel tales?
Me too! Sign up today and get all of my best travel stories straight to your inbox, including by monthly newsletter!