New York City is one of the fashion capitals of the world, so deciding what to pack for your trip there can seem like more than your simple packing challenge. If you don’t want to be pegged as a tourist, but still want to be able to zoom around the city without feeling completely unprepared, then look no further! This New York City packing list seeks to give you everything that you may need for your trip to the Big Apple.
Some tips and tricks before we start:
Layers, layers, layers – New York in Spring can be absolutely beautiful, but it can also still be incredibly cold. When I was there in April I was definitely glad that I decided last minute to throw a warmer coat in my bag. You definitely don’t want to be caught unprepared, so prepare for everything by throwing on several layers in the morning and shedding them off as you go along if it gets too warm.
Stick to one color palette – By doing this you allow yourself to pack less while still maximising your outfit options.
Pack everything you think you’ll need and then get rid of five items – Be practical when you’re packing, and don’t pack anything you’re not absolutely sure you’ll wear. You’ll be much happier in the long run with a lighter suitcase than if you had brought that one extra pair of shoes you only would have worn once.
New York City Packing List
- 2-3 Sweaters, long sleeve shirts, etc. – For colder days
- 2 Short sleeve shirts – For warmer days
- Cardigan and denim shirt – For layering
- 1 Pajama Top
- 2-3 Jeans – Try to bring different washes that can be dressed up or down in order to transition easily from day to night
- 1 Skirt – For warmer days or to wear for a nice dinner
- 1Pair Pajama Bottoms
- 1 Little Black Dress – For seeing a Broadway show, going out to a nice restaurant, etc.
- 1 Trench Coat
- 1 Lightweight Jacket – Something that won’t be too heavy but will still provide some protection from the elements
- Fashionable Sneakers – You’ll be doing a lot of walking, so it’s better to wear something comfortable that will still look good than to kill your feet after just a few minutes!
- Black Ankle Boots – These are still comfortable enough to walk in, but can be dressed up if need be
- Black Flats – Only to be worn if you won’t be walking very far, but nice to have around for occasions when you’d like to dress up
- 1 Scarf – The wind can be brutal, so you’ll be glad you brought one
- 1 Pair Gloves – If the weather gets too cold you’ll definitely want to have a pair of gloves around so your hands don’t freeze while you’re taking pictures
- 2 Necklaces – One silver, one gold. You can also bring earrings if you like, but there’s not much need to overpack on accessories
- 1 Cross-body bag – Try to find something that can fit everything you’ll need throughout the day but that won’t leave you sticking out like a sore thumb
- 1 Umbrella – Spring in New York can be especially rainy, so bring an umbrella that you can fold up super tight and fit in your bag
- Socks and underwear – enough to last your entire trip, plus a few extra (you never know what might happen)
- 2 Bras – One black, one white/nude
- Shower supplies – Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.
- Makeup – Only pack what you use on a daily basis, not your entire makeup bag!
- Medications – Any prescriptions you may have, plus a few pain killers are always good to have on hand
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Hair brush, hair ties, etc.
- Laptop/Tablet – I normally try to leave my laptop at home whenever I can, but I usually bring a tablet along just in case I need something with a little bit more power than my phone
- Phone – You definitely don’t want to leave home without this!
- Camera – For capturing all of your memories
- Headphones – For drowning out crying babies or using if you don’t want to make friends on the subway
- Chargers for everything you bring
- Portable charger – You definitely don’t want to be stuck in the middle of a city you don’t know very well without a charged phone, so invest in a portable charger that you can stick in your bag for emergencies